This is a vid taken from several drift practices from last weeks. And yet there is more to come!!!
The UK RC driftcompetition D1RC is hosting an international event every year in the summer. This year it isn’t a eurocup, but a worldcup! Because the dutch group of drivers for this years D1RC World Series has changed compared to the last two years it was time for me to join in as well. The theme of the teambodies is Team Orange (Orange is the colour of Holland making it an obvious choice) which I didn’t like at first. The livery has been used too much and I don’t think it looks that good. But I’ve come up with an alternative livery that will fit in the theme, but is more my style and has never been done before. (Ignore the Monster Energy and DC logo’s on the side. That was my first plan for the body and it is only drawn on the overspray film)
Well after some doubts and dillemma’s I’ve chosen the body; A Lexus SC430 Super GT from Tamiya. I wanted to do something radical to make sure I have a good chance of winning this years Best Bodyshell competition. So, I’ve turned it in to a convertible!
I’ve also added a HPI driverset especially made for convertibles. Its quite old though, I don’t think you’ll find one for sale anymore.
As almost two whole months sounds like a lot of time it actually isn’t. I immidiatly started working. I’ve masked and painted the roof first.
Next up was masking and trimming the body it self. I’ve made all new masks as Tamiya doesn’t have maskings for the lights, and the ones for the window are too big.
I also made holes for the bodyposts.
Then I started spraying it. First orange, then some white to back the orange and make it bright and lastly the black for the windowtrims, roof and to back the whole body.
And then it looked like this
I decided to cut all the vents open for extra detail
And I’ve added mesh behind all the vents and made sides for the dropvent in the hood to make it look more realistic
Because of all the vents cut out (and the roof too) the body isn’t as strong as it used to be so I’ve reinforced it in some places with some scrap lexan and rubberglue
I have also started working on the driverset. The interior will be white, and have the usual amount of DIY detailing
Also made the first pieces of the rollcage (at the moment they are also already glued in place)
And that is all the progress so far. Next up will be more detailing on the body like making the Gun-Sports inspired diffusor, finishing the mirrors, wipers, exhaust etc. and much more. I’m still waiting for my decals, wheels, buckets and other stuff to arrive but hopefully they get here soon and I can start on that as well.
Anyway, stay tuned for part 2!
Because i never liked how RC cars drifted i really wanted a chassis with countersteer mod as soon as i first saw it.
I first wanted to mod my Pro4 hara or TC4 for countersteering but the gears that i could use are 30 euro’s without shipping and they don’t even fit without serious modding.
And i really don’t like to spend that kind of money on some lousy gears that probably will fail fast because they need to mesh precise….
Because belt drive chassis are easier to mod for countersteering i started to look for a cheap Hotbodies Cyclone (Because it shares parts with the Pro4). Wanted to keep it as cheap as possible because the place were we drive every friday night (Club night were Reinier,Dennis and me drive) is probably to slippery and unpredictable for countersteering so it won’t be used as much as my Pro4’s.
A couple weeks ago i bought a Cyclone parts lot to start with.
As soon as i opened the package i saw this:
Bulkheads weren’t broken when they left the previous owner…
After stealing some parts from the pro4 that i had for sale, the cyclone looked like this:
A couple days later Tijs (Tizer) send me a link from Tamiyaclub with a HPI chassis lot (Owner didn’t know what he had) and one of those chassis was a Cyclone TC.
The price for both chassis was what i wanted to spend for the cyclone alone!
Ofcourse i bought it as fast as i could
Will post more of this project later!