Since last year the front-midship layout chassis’ are the trend. It started in Japan with the ARD CER and Streetjam OTA-R conversion. Since this year the major brands have stepped up and now this type of chassis is easily avaible for everyone. I’ve been playing with the idea of building my own front-midship chassis by using parts from the chassis’ I have here. Two weeks ago I got to try the Tamiya TA05-VDF and it drove amazingly well. Much better then I expected. I’m still not quite sure why it drives so much better, as the weight balance isn’t so much different from a normal car so I think it is mostly because of the soft springs, flexible chassis and the rotating mass that’s up front. The rotating mass could work like a gyro, creating a stable point in the front instead of the rear. But that’s just guessing!
Anyway, as I was amazed by the handling of the VDF I decided to give it a shot and dusted off my Megatech Neo chassis. The great thing about this chassis is that it used the same bulkheads on both sides, so I could just swap the front suspension, shocktower and differential for the ones in the rear and even the bumpers could be swapped.
Right now it looks like this
What I need to do now if figure out how to mount the steering arms and it’s ‘done’. I tried some Tamiya knuckels and they fit, and I also have an idea for the steeringarms but I have to try that first to know if it works. To be continued