In the search for more steering angle, one of the key things is the steering system of the car, and with that the axles. There are some brands out there that make axles especially designed for lots of lock, like Overdose and Square, but there is also the opportunity to modify the factory ones.
Read more after the jump…
Most of you will probably have a friend or family member who has acces to a lathe, but if not, the following things can also be done with a drill and a file. But since I wanted this to be done as accurate as possible, I used one of the lathes at my university.
What I did first was lathe 0.8mm off of the front of the cup, so that the axle has a larger turning angle, and then used a 45degree(I took 45 because that is the max amount of lock my Cyclone can do) countersunk drill to chamfer the inner edge, so that the cup won’t cut into the axle when turning.
This is what a quick mock up looks like..
… and here it is compared to an unmodded one. As you can see the max steering angle is extended to 45 degrees, and it does that without any ticking etc.
For my other cyclone I made axles that can do more than 50 degrees, and the only thing I did differently was chamfering at 60 degrees and using a thinner dogbone(the factory ones are quite fat) to give the axle the room to get that 50+ degrees lock.
And there you have it, a quick and probably cheaper alternative to the expensive high-lock axles!