As some of you might remember, some time ago we had a Tech-Week, in which I posted the first part of this chassis build. I then said that more was coming soon, but up until now nothing has posted. This was partially due to me having no time and wanting to wait for some other parts to arrive, but the last few days I couldn’t wait any longer, so I finished the chassis as far as I could.
The build starts after the jump –>
This is what my desk looked like only a week ago. Completely filled with cyclone parts, Hiro Seiko screws and screwdrivers and of course the custom bottom deck I made in part 1.
I started with the suspension part of the car. I first built the rear suspension arms, shimmed them until they had just the right amount of play.
I then mounted both the suspension parts and the bulkheads on the chassis. I shimmed everything again until it had the right amount of play, in accordance to the Gilles Groskamp vids.
I also mounted the batterymount, to see if the belt would safely run underneath it withoud rubbing the battery or the chassis plate.
I then built both the front balldiff and the rear spool. The front balldiff features wider Pro-spec diffplates for a better diffworking, as well as ceremic balls. The diffplates were sanded until they were completely flat. The rear spool features a Square 32t pulley, which gives the car 30% overdrive. Just enough for the rear end to kick out a bit quicker!
I then started to put the upper parts of the chassis on. Here you can see the balldiff installed, as well as the flipped steering system. It has been flipped from left to right because the servo will be mounted on the right behind the battery.
Here you can see the chassis is nearing completion. Here I was just about to start installing the CVDs and the shocktowers..
At first I wanted to wait then, because there was some stuff on its way that was going to end up on the chassis, like TN racing damper bladders, Speedworks springs and a brand new Hobbywing Extremestock ESC. Sadly, this has all been delayed quite a lot, so I had to make a choice… either to keep you waiting a bit longer, or finish the chassis with the stock damper parts etc. and add the additions later…
Tadaa! I could wait, so here it is, the TC-H in all of its 98% finished glory!
This is the idler pulley that guides the belt underneath the battery..
.. and this is the pulley that keeps the rear belt tensioned. I still need to find a shorter belt, but that’s difficult >_>
You can also see the reflection of my camera in the screws, wicked!
I tested the spring rate of all the springs I have at the Uni, and colourcoded them for myself. I now have an accurate table of which colour is how stiff, which is pretty useful when you have different brands!
Ahh the freshness… one would almost forget most of the parts on this chassis are well over 3 years old! A bit of pity to get this thing dirty… not!
I also shortened the leads on the servo, which make it look neater and safer too, since there are no long wires that could get in the drivertrain etc.
And that’s it! After the chassis is completely finished and tweaked I’ll post a part 3 which containes some more pics and a full spec & setup list!